Hum/Noise w/o

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Hum/Noise w/o

Permanent link to this post Posted by Karr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:49 am

I have been using 1.2.6 on a Vista Business system (Service Pack 2). Converting vinyl to PC via an Akai USB t/t ATT022U.

Have been doing this now for over 7 months with no issues. Today, for the 1st time commenced a 45 vinyl, and nothing being recorded on Audacity except occasional large hum/ring noise. Read some of the Forum topics and decided to download V1.3.14. Turned on the t/t and selected "Record" and received same hum/signal noise for brief periods.

I obtain the same noise/feedback when the t/t is not being used.

Appreciate assistance and advice why this has happened at this time when everything was being processed so well?

Peter Karr
Karr

Operating System: Please select

Re: Hum/Noise w/o

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 am

Nobody is going to talk you out of using Audacity 1.3. Audacity 1.2 can be unstable on newer computers.

Do you use Skype? Sometimes Skype can leave your computer in a strange state. Look in your Windows Control Panels and make sure you're still recording from the USB Sound Device and not one of the other machine connections.

Hum and buzz as a rule are analog problems, skipping and dropouts are digital. I don't have time right this second to look up the turntable and its connections, but shut down the computer, turn off the turntable and unplug and replug the connections, the power and the USB.

Turn on the turntable first, then bring up the computer and then Audacity. Still broken?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Karr » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:42 am

Now in the real doldrums.

I unhooked the UBS t/t, unplugged the t/t p/s, uninstalled Audacity 1.2 and 1.3 which I had downloaded earlier, re-booted the system, downloaded & installed 1.3 and then ran the .exe file.

With the t/t still not connected, clicked on the "record" button, and got the feedback noise/hum, goes away & then comes back. Only session open is MS Otlook.

Never had this issue before -- what is going on???

Thanks for the earlier quick response
Karr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:49 pm

My initial thoughts are what Koz suggested.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Karr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 am

Do not comprehend re response to "What Koz suggested" since my t/t is not on/connected.

I downloaded 1.3 to my Toshiba Satellite laptop which runs XP. The top control panel is different between my PC where the "Record" button is in the middle while on the laptop it is on the right. Why the difference?

Next, on my PC where I am having this noise issue (sound is like a low beep-beep and build up to a crescendo and then drops to zero, picks up again after 20 seconds & repeats) when i attempt to record (w/o the t/t connected!!!) -- I opened an MP3 file in Audacity 1.3 and played it w/o any issues. It is using MS Sound Mapper for input & output.

Why problem during "record" process?
Karr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:53 am

Karr wrote:Do not comprehend re response to "What Koz suggested"

kozikowski wrote: Audacity 1.2 can be unstable on newer computers.
Do you use Skype? Sometimes Skype can leave your computer in a strange state.

kozikowski wrote:Hum and buzz as a rule are analog problems,

How loud is this noise?
Have you tried recording with your laptop running on batteries? (mains power supply not plugged into the computer)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 am

Do you use Skype? Skype takes over your sound pathways while it's running and sometimes doesn't give them back.

When you launched Audacity 1.3, did you get the Welcome Opening Screen, or did it dive right into a normal session? Audacity leaves setup files behind when you uninstall it so you don't have to load all your preferences again when you install a new Audacity. So uninstalling Audacity doesn't uninstall Audacity. You can get just as far ahead by leaving Audacity alone and reset the preferences files.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Preferences

Your symptoms are of a feedback pathway. mum mum Mum Mum MUM MUM. Do you like to record internet audio? That can cause problems when you later try straight recording; the Windows settings are different. Make sure your Windows Control Panels are set to record from your desired sound device and not Stereo Mix or WAV Out (it's called several things).

The only way to listen to what you're doing when you record vinyl is to set Audacity for Record > Playthrough. That setting will kill you if you unplug the turntable and leave your internal microphone running.

We're looking for something seemingly innocent that happened between the time it worked and the time it didn't. Skype and recording internet shows are very common problems. They both scramble sound pathways inside the computer.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Karr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks for the response. Like to address each of the issues you made:

Skype is not running -- session is not on, although I do have Skype & use it, there never has been a problem with Aud 1.2 & Skype.

When I launched Aud 1.3 on 3 occasions on the PC/Vista, yes, the Welcome Opening Screen came up, as it did when I downloaded it on the Toshiba laptop.

Using Aud for just one purpose -- to transfer vinyl to PC, as I have been doing for close to 112 months. No internet audio use at all on my m/c.

In Preferences> Recording, the box is ticked for "Software Playthrough". Do I keep the Latency settings @ 100ms and -130ms?

My "sounds" in Windows Control Panel, is set for Realtek High Definition Speakers, as it has been always.

Now, it seems I have fixed the problem:

When I opened Preferences>Devices, the settings for Playback Device was set for "MS Sound Mapper-Output". Went back to My "Sound" in Windows Control Panel, where it had a "tick" for Realtek High Definition Speakers.

Went back to "Preferences" and in Playback Device replaced MS Sound Mapper with the Realtek choice. Hit "Record" and no "mum mum MUM MUM" feedback. Hooked up the t/t and placed the stylus on the vinyl, hit "Record" and it worked. Went back to Playback Device in Preferences, replaced Realtek option with the original "MS Sound Mapper-Output". No issues, no feedback, no noise and recording works (fingers crossed).

Then, to satisfy my curiosity, went back to Windows Control Panel for "Sound, and noticed an addition at the top of the "Playback" tab -- "Speakers - 6-USB Audio Codec Working", which was not there when I accessed this "Sound/tab" earlier. Seems there must have been some alteration, somewhere which may have been the cause of this analogue noise feedback.

Summary -- it now works, looks like 1.3 has a hell of a lot more features and functionality. I am back in production. If any issues arise with this subject, will get back to you. In the meantime...

Thanks for the input and assistance. Great support

Regards,
Peter Karr
Karr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 am

Karr wrote:Skype is not running -- session is not on, although I do have Skype & use it, there never has been a problem with Aud 1.2 & Skype.

Sorry to keep banging on about Skype but it is relevant on 2 counts:

1) In order to be able to reliably work for voip with a minimum of user intervention, Skype integrates closely with the computer sound system, takes control of it and configures it so that Skype calls will work. When Skype is closed it does not revert any changes that it has made. If Skype needs to make changes to the sound system it will do so without notifying the user and will then leave the sound configured in that way when you exit Skype.

2) By default, when you exit Skype, Skype does not completely close, it continues running in the background and while running in the background it still has control of the computer sound system. By default Skype will start running when you boot up the computer. To completely shut down Skype it is normally necessary to exit the program from the icon in the task bar (near the time/date).

I'm glad that you are now up and running, and hopefully you will now be able to reconfigure your sound system for recording if Skype (or other program) changes your settings.

It is not normally necessary to adjust the latency settings unless you are doing multi-track recording, so just leave those at the defaults.

For transferring vinyl, there's a couple of tutorials that may be useful. The first (on the wiki) deals mostly with setting up: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Trans ... D#Workflow and the other (in the manual) provides a suggested work-flow with lots of additional hints and tips: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Samp ... gitization
steve
Site Admin

Return to Windows