input problems

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

input problems

Permanent link to this post Posted by zenneth » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 pm

hi,
i just got a new mic (samson c01u) coz my old mic (just a logitech usb mic) doesnt really get much of my voice and it feels flat.

but when i tried recording with my new mic on audacity, it BARELY receives anything even when i put the input up to 1.

the quality is definitely better than my old one-- but the old one can receive my voice high enough to clipping with just input .6

any ideas what's wrong??

thank you~

ImageUploaded at Picoodle.com
zenneth

Operating System: Please select

Re: input problems

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:01 am

Maybe nothing.

Low volume is a very common complaint about the Samson series of microphones. Were you using the Logitech USB Desktop microphone?

http://www.logitech.com/webcam-communic ... evices/221

Terrific microphone. I have one and I like it. But it's a communications microphone, not a Hollywood/Nashville performance microphone. Nobody cares if your voice hits or crackles a little bit in a conference call. But they care a lot about that in a musical performance.

Many USB microphones feature low volume because there is no sound mixer to set levels and it's a lot easier to cure slightly low sound level than it is overload. You can't cure clipping and overload distortion. It's one of the fatal mistakes.

Your illustrations are missing one tool. If you have the overload indicators turned on, the top illustration would be a festival of red-bar clipping distortion. Every time one of those blue lines goes to 1 in either direction, there is non-recoverable distortion. If it's not too bad, it just sounds like a very bright and forward show. That's what minor distortion sounds like.

So you're complaining that your new high quality microphone doesn't have the distortion of your old one.

You're right. It doesn't. Again from your illustration, the new mic's show looks like about -12dB or -18dB which is easily corrected with the volume tools in Audacity -- with little or no distortion.

I'm surprised that the input volume control in Audacity has any effect. It doesn't on many USB microphones. Generally, once the USB microphone sets the volume up at the head unit, that's the end of the story unless you have a process (like the one in Audacity Effects) to resample at a different loudness. There is no "make it louder." You have to rip the sound data apart and put it back together again louder. Analog microphones adjust very easily anywhere along the chain.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 am

One more. This won't affect you, but you should be using the latest Audacity, not 1.2.

http://audacityteam.org/download/

That and Version 2.0 is coming out shortly.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by zenneth » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:27 am

kozikowski wrote:One more. This won't affect you, but you should be using the latest Audacity, not 1.2.

http://audacityteam.org/download/

That and Version 2.0 is coming out shortly.

Koz

im using 1.3 beta... but thanks, i'll look for what you specified above~
zenneth

Permanent link to this post Posted by Starviewer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:55 am

I ran into a similar problem with a cassette deck. Recording a phone call from a tape. Maybe I need a preamp for this one. ???
Starviewer

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Starviewer wrote:I ran into a similar problem with a cassette deck. Recording a phone call from a tape. Maybe I need a preamp for this one. ???

Please start a new topic in the forum appropriate to your operating system and version of Audacity.
Please also give full details of what equipment you are using, how it is all connected up, what you are trying to do and what the problem is.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Windows