Can't record from Tape USB device

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Can't record from Tape USB device

Permanent link to this post Posted by whunterg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi, I am having the same problem with trying to record and my music is not playing back when I try listening to it. I am using the Audacity 1.2.6 and I see a wave when the music is being recorded. I have XP on my computer and I didn't know if I needed to up grade to the 1.3 or not. Plus I see that the lame_enc.dll that it talked about in the directions I wasn't able to locate, but since the instructions said IF REQUESTED then I disregarded that I may need to down load that file from your web site. I did a search to see if during the down loading of Audacity if I had a file named Lame_enc.dll and since I did I again didn't believe that I needed to down load that file from your web site.

I did put the ear phone into the cassette capture and I can hear the music play, but only after I put in the batteries. Since the instructions didn't mention that you needed them I believed that the capture would play once plugged into the computer by the USP cord without the batteries. I was also not able to tell when the music had finished recording, it just kept replaying for hours.

Since this is my first time working with this type of program the instructions seemed a little lacking.
Georgann
whunterg

Re: Can't record from Tape USB device

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Please don't hijack existing threads, especially when your problem is not the same as the original poster's. It's always better to start a new thread otherwise the replies get confusing. I have split this off into a separate thread for you.

For a start I would definitely upgrade to the latest Audacity which is 1.3.14 - the 1.2 series is now ancient and hasn't been maintained/updated for years now. You can get 1.3.14 from here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

whunterg wrote:Since this is my first time working with this type of program the instructions seemed a little lacking.

Are you talking about the instructions that come with your USB tape deck here? If so that's nothing to do with us - you would need to take this up with the manufacturer.

We have an extensive manual for the 1.3 series of Audacity: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Main_Page

Of particular use to you will be this set of tutorials from the manual: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Tuto ... iscs_to_CD

particularly this one (most of the information here also applies to using USB tape decks: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Reco ... turntables

Ther is also a Wiki for Audacity which also offers a wealth of information on the use of Audacity: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audac ... _Home_Page

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:33 pm

BTW it would help us if you told us the exact make and model number of the USB tape deck that you are using ...

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by whunterg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 pm

waxcylinder wrote:BTW it would help us if you told us the exact make and model number of the USB tape deck that you are using ...

WC

The Tape deck or cassette Capture that I am using is called IMAGE - Super USB Cassette Capture. There are no model numbers but a store code on the back of it with this letters and numbers listed on it - IT39 HYA 111009372. Hope this helps.
Georgann
whunterg

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:17 am

I can't find an online manual for this device on t'interweb - and only very cursory technical specs. - but it looks like a basic low-end USB tape device, so the instructions in the tutorials I listed above should be fine to get you going.

WC
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:26 am

whunterg wrote: ... my music is not playing back when I try listening to it. I am using the Audacity 1.2.6 and I see a wave when the music is being recorded.

This is because XP thinks that when you plug a USB sound device like this that you want both the input and out sound services to be directed to your USB device. What you need to do is to get Audacity and Windows to target the sound output to your PCs onboard soundcard - the tutorials should tell you how to do that.

WC
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Return to Windows