Input from Hype Model 2010-TP Tape to MP3 converter

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Input from Hype Model 2010-TP Tape to MP3 converter

Permanent link to this post Posted by Dumb About Audio » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 am

I received a CD of the Audacity software with my portable player/converter. I have figured out how to use it as a cassette player, but I can't find a way to send its audio to my computer for the Audacity software to work on.

It's probably some very simple step, but when it comes to audio I'm a very, very simpleton!

I'm trying to use it with an HP laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 64.

??????
Dumb About Audio

Re: Input from Hype Model 2010-TP Tape to MP3 converter

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 am

In a nutshell, exit Audacity if it's running, connect the USB tape converter to your computer using the USB cable, launch Audacity, click Edit > Preferences: Audio I/O and set the "Recording Device" to "USB Audio Codec" or similar and the "Playback Device" to your inbuilt sound device.

When you are done recording, unplug the USB tape converter from the computer so that you can hear audio in Windows Media Player and other programs.

For more help please read this page thoroughly:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/USB_turntables

(most of the content relates to USB tape converters as well as USB turntables).

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Dumb About Audio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help.

The only choices I get for input devices are:
1, Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input, which is a suggested device on the page you linked
2, Microphone Array (2- USB PnP Au, which is the only one mentioning USB
3. Microphone (High Definition Aud, which is obviously not the right one.

After selecting each one in turn, I started playing the tape, and observed no signal or information coming into the Audacity program. When I clicked on the brown "Record" button a line started drawing at the 0.0 level

The display of how much recording time remained on the disk did not change, even after letting things run for several minutes.

Any other suggestions?
Dumb About Audio

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:15 pm

For Win 7 your should be using Audacity 1.3.13. You can download it from here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
Ensure that the cassette player is connected to the computer before you launch Audacity.
Use the Device Toolbar to set the recording input to the USB option.
Right click on the loudspeaker icon near the time and date and select "Recording Devices".
Follow the instructions here to ensure that the recording volume for the USB device is turned up. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer ... es#vistacp
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 pm

This is my first time posting so sorry if I do it incorrectly. I have one of these also, just got it.
I can't find the toolbar you are referring to. I have XP and the 1.2x version not the beta. It is set for my real player settings but I am not seeing what you are referring to here in person's post. I plug in the Hype to usb, put in tape, start the record and push play. All I get is a straight line and when I stop to see if anything is even on, I hear nothing. This whole thing is very confusing. I would like to just get started successfully. I am computer literate but not with audio editing. What do you suggest I do, so many of these post assume we are familiar with editing and I am not.
Kath

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 am

Kath wrote:This is my first time posting so sorry if I do it incorrectly. I have one of these also, just got it.
I can't find the toolbar you are referring to. I have XP and the 1.2x version not the beta. It is set for my real player settings but I am not seeing what you are referring to here in person's post. I plug in the Hype to usb, put in tape, start the record and push play. All I get is a straight line and when I stop to see if anything is even on, I hear nothing. This whole thing is very confusing. I would like to just get started successfully. I am computer literate but not with audio editing. What do you suggest I do, so many of these post assume we are familiar with editing and I am not.

Restart Audacity. In Audacity, click Edit > Preferences, click "Audio I/O" at the top and set the Recording Device to "USB Audio CODEC" and the Playback Device to your computer inbuilt sound device. Enable Software Playthrough in the same place. Unplug the Hype from the computer when you want to listen to your exported recording in programs other than Audacity.

Full instructions are here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/USB_turntables#setup

Most of the instructions relate to USB tape decks as well as USB turntables.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Return to Windows