Failure to record

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Failure to record

Permanent link to this post Posted by mondial » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:58 pm

I use Audacity 1.2.6. to record from an ION turntable, using Windows XP. I record an album and all looks well. I attempt to save using "export as WAV" and it appears to function well. At that point I get an error message saying: "'c:docume~1davidf~1locals~1audacity_1_2_tempb00101.au'(error2:the
| system cannot find the file specified." At which point the visual recording on audacity becomes a flat line.

I go to My Documents/My Music and find the icon for the album just recorded. It shows 322 mb but is completely blank. Nothing recorded and the track is lost on audacity with just a flat line where the recording should have been. Often just the first 16 to 20 minutes is wiped clean.

What am I doing wrong?

David
mondial

Operating System: Please select

Re: Failure to record

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:13 pm

Someone move this from 'Forum Issues' to 'Audacity 1.2.6 -> General -> Windows' please.

mondial wrote:I record an album and all looks well.

OK, but does it sound ok? You can listen to it at this point, right? General rule, if you can hear it, you can save it (or export it, which is what you're actually trying to do) with Audacity.

I attempt to save using "export as WAV" and it appears to function well. At that point I get an error message saying: "'c:docume~1davidf~1locals~1audacity_1_2_tempb00101.au'(error2:the system cannot find the file specified." At which point the visual recording on audacity becomes a flat line.

Here, Audacity is trying to find a file in your temp directory, this is set up in the Edit -> Preferences -> Directories menu, you can set it wherever you like.

For some reason, Audacity can't find that file, and it's audio data that you need. I'm not sure what's going on here. I wonder if it's possible to set a size limit for your temp directories in Windows, or if some other program is cleaning them out periodically without your knowledge. It might also be possible that Audacity is haven't trouble writing the file in the first place. Anyone else have any ideas? Windows is a scary, scary place sometimes.

Just as a test, you can try setting Audacity's temp directory to something completely new (like c:aud_save) just for testing purposes. That might fix your problem, though you should still try to figure out why your temp directories aren't acting properly.

Alternately, Save the project when you're done recording using the Save function, this will save a copy of everything wherever you tell it to. See if the same problem occurs after doing this.

I go to My Documents/My Music and find the icon for the album just recorded. It shows 322 mb but is completely blank. Nothing recorded and the track is lost on audacity with just a flat line where the recording should have been. Often just the first 16 to 20 minutes is wiped clean.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Is Audacity creating a 322 MB wav file with no audio data in it? It's the "icon for the album just recorded" that's confusing me. Is it a project file (PROJECT_NAME.aup and PROJECT_NAME_data folder) or is it just a wav file that you've got here? This might be irrelevant given what I've typed above.
alatham

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by mondial » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 pm

I'm sorry if I use non-technical language but I of a generation before computers were in common use.

When recording I get the blue peaks and troughs and I can hear the record playing. When i save this to MY Music as a WAV recording the window opens and it goes through the motions. On completion I notice that the blue recording has turned to a flat blue line from about 20 minutes in - the back half still being peaks and troughs. then the error mesage comes up and the total recording is a flat line.

i then go to My Music and find a box type icon with a WAV sign and a music symbol and a title underneath. Properties shows about 320 - 360mb. I cannot play this - it is blank. I burn a CD to no effect.

My Temporary file under Edit has just one line of text in it and if I delete this, it reappears. I now propose recording another LP and trying to save it as a project and play it back. I'll let you know and thank you for your continued interest.
David
mondial

Permanent link to this post Posted by mondial » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:57 pm

A follow up to my earlier sob story. I have just recorded side one of an LP, saved it, exported as WAV, all perfectly. Turned the record over (I deliberately recorded it in two halves) and recorded side two. Before I could save it I noticed that it had flat lined from the start up to 11 minutes odd but was all there from that point on. Then the usual error message came up.

I had watched the blue peaks and troughs recording all through and it seemed to be behaving perfectly. What now?
mondial

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 pm

There's no need to apologize for the lack of technical lingo, as long as you describe things well enough we can figure it out.

Try running a recording session. At the end press stop and, before exporting or saving, make sure you can listen back to everything. If it isn't all there at that point then Audacity is having trouble writing the temporary files, see below. If it does work, try Save Project, and put it somewhere where you'll be able to find it, but don't close Audacity yet. Also try Export as Wav. Then close Audacity and immediately re-open it, then import the Wav file you just made and see if it's ok.

If it didn't work, there are a few things to try.

You still seem to be having trouble getting your temporary files to work right. Try changing the Temporary Directory in Audacity's Edit -> Preferences -> Directories menu to C:aud_save. Then try again and see if it works. If that fail, you might have a hard drive that can't keep up. Audacity accesses the hard-drive much more often than most programs. What is the Project Rate listed at in the bottom left corner of Audacity's main window? It's probably set to 44100 Hz, but if it's set higher than that, set it back to 44100 Hz and try again.

Let us know what happens.
alatham

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows