MP3 editing-to make song longer.

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

MP3 editing-to make song longer.

Permanent link to this post Posted by Axe Murderer » Tue May 27, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to take an mp3 file and make it longer? Edit it somehow to stretch it out? I don't want to change anything in the file its'self, I just want to make it longer, repeat or loop from one point to another, but not an eternal loop. I want to make it longer so I can upload to I pod for backing track. Someone else must have asked this question before, if you could provide a link to the post if there is one that would be great! or if you know how to do it perhaps you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
PEACE
Bill
Mercenary Guitarist 8-)
Axe Murderer

Re: MP3 editing-to make song longer.

Permanent link to this post Posted by jan.kolar » Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 am

I dont know if MP3 allows this. Maybe Ipod would know how to loop.
(There might be a specific junk that if, in MP3, makes Ipod loop.) This is of topic.

Audacity 1.3.5. can loop playback your file: Import, and then Shift+Space or Shift-Play.
You can use Copy-Past inside Audacity, to create large long (repeating) file and then export to a big MP3 file.
Perhaps you can also copy your MP3 as file1.mp3 file2.mp3.... file100.mp3 to your Ipod and tell it to play all of them.

To search use Search form on right in the top Forum banner.
jan.kolar

Permanent link to this post Posted by Axe Murderer » Wed May 28, 2008 1:49 am

Thank You for response, I know if you put multiple mp3's on your IPOD (like when you load songs on it) , there is a gap between every song so that one idea is a good one but it wont work because of gap. I will check out the info you gave me on the other idea and see what it does. I can't believe no one else has asked about how to do this. MP3's I know can not be edited in the sense of stripping or ripping tracks (like removing lead guitar from song and such) you know- to make backing tracks, but all I want to do is take one full part of the file and repeat it (but not an infinate loop, make it 8-10 minutes long. Maybe im not explaing it right.
I will check it out,
Thanks
Bill
Axe Murderer

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed May 28, 2008 2:17 am

I don't know that we've addressed this anywhere else.

There are tools that will change the tempo without changing the pitch and that's good for about 10% clip elongation or so before it starts to sound funny.

It sure sounds like what you want is Editing.

First step is download and install version 1.3. The edit point management is much better in that than 1.2. You can install both Audacities on your machine as long as you don't try to use them at once.

Figure out how much longer you want your piece to be and then go through the song and find a phrase that's about that long. Using the label keys, select the phrase and copy. Then, if you got the rhythm right, you should be able to paste the phrase at the second label point.

One of our editors with an ear for music gave us a song 30% longer to match a demo video reel we were composing. Nobody could figure out without looking really hard how he did it.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed May 28, 2008 3:20 am

We seem to be having a bit of difficulty interpreting your question Axe.

In Audacity 1.3.4, you can repeat a section in Audacity by selecting the section (or the whole track if that is what you want to repeat) then selecting "Repeat" from the "Effects" menu.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 am

Axe Murderer wrote:I know if you put multiple mp3's on your IPOD (like when you load songs on it) , there is a gap between every song ....

Axeman,

actually there is a setting in iTunes whereby you can tell it that an album is a "Gapless Album" - in which case iTunes doesnt put the inter-song gaps in.

You need to set it for each gapless album you want it to work on - AFAIK there is no iTunes setting to effect this for all albums.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by GuitarMike » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 am

Hi
I don't know if this is directly related to this particular thread, or if somebody else has already asked this question elsewhere.
I'm just in a big great hurry and this is the closest thread I found to what I was looking for, although unanswered.

I'm trying to remove the LEAD GUITAR part from the song, Message in a Bottle, by The Police.

I'm sure there's a way to do it with Audacity (ver. 1.3.5) but I'm fairly new to it and there's not much of a help topic.

Can someone help me out?
I need to place this piece (me as the lead guitarist) for an exam.

Thanks.
GuitarMike

Permanent link to this post Posted by jan.kolar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 am

GuitarMike, you want to select your stereo track and use Effects>Vocal Remover (or Cetner Pan Remover) to see if it can do what you need.
Some hints are on
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... Remover.29
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... al_Removal
together with links to some more plugins.

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorials mentiones tutorial http://youtube.com/watch?v=PqXiKYG3J7M
jan.kolar

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 am

@GuitarMike
jan's suggestion is the only tool in Audacity that may be able to do it, but the chances are that it will not work because it will only remove audio that is panned dead center in the mix.

There are millions of students doing their music exams that want such-and-such a piece of music without this instrument, or that instrument, or without the vocals, and may loose marks if they are "doubling" an existing part. The answer for all people in this situation is to go to your local music shop and look for a "learning CD" which has the piece without the guitar part as a "play along CD" (like a karaoke CD for guitarists). Alternatively, look for a midi file of the piece. Midi files do not usually sound as good as real instruments, but each instrument is a separate track and can be muted or deleted.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Return to Windows