how do I merge multiple mp3's into one?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

how do I merge multiple mp3's into one?

Permanent link to this post Posted by GMTdad » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:40 am

I have about 27 spoken word mp3's that I created all as separate files. I would like to merge them together to make just one large mp3 file. I have looked elsewhere online for how to do this and even watched a youtube video but everything that's been suggested doesn't work. I just found this forum tonight and thought it seemed like a good place to ask. Can someone please help me with this. Thank you in advance!
GMTdad

Re: how do I merge multiple mp3's into one?

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:43 pm

You can use Audacity to do this, but it's probably not the best tool for the job. The problem is that when you import the MP3s into Audacity they are converted into Audacity's own internal uncompressed format - and note that this will not remove the compression damege caused in the cration of the original MP3s. And then once you've finished you will need to export to your consolidated MP3 at your chosen bitrate and this will add further compression damage.

You would probably be better off using a simple MP3 editor - try googling "MP3 Editor".

If you do want to use Audacity all you need to do is:
1) Open a new Audacity project
2) Import each MP3 into Audacity
3) Slide the individual tracks along the timeline to the required place, using the Time-shift Tool (icon is a button with a horizontal arrow with an arrowhead at each end) - make sure you re-select the normal selection cursor tool (icon is the I-girder)
4) Export the project to an MP3

You may find that you get clickas at the joins - in which case you may want to do some crossfades, overlapping the end/beginnings of the tracks.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by GMTdad » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:39 am

Thank you WC for the detailed reply! I'll give it a try and I'm gonna also look up some other MP3 editors. Are there any that you suggest?
GMTdad

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickyjones » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:33 pm

I have used Mp3 Merger 1.0. it's a free tool which can merge MP3 files.It can merge from 2 to 9999 MP3 files into one MP3 file to let you be able to manage your seperated MP3 musical files better. It is small and delicate with beautiful screen pannel, easy to use, simple and fast, the most important point is that it is totally free of charge. It is only 100K and applicable for Windows Me, 2000, XP and 2003.

You can download the s/w from the link given below
http://www.brothersoft.com/mp3-merger-49751.html
mickyjones

Return to Windows