Cannot hear playback Audacity 1.2.6

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Cannot hear playback Audacity 1.2.6

Permanent link to this post Posted by Themis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:27 am

I recorded several test recordings successfully today for Librivox. When I say "successful", I was able to hear my recording in the play back. The Librivox book monitor said my volume was too low and suggested that I adjust things in the Control panel and my input volume in Audacity. I did this but obviously did something wrong because now the only thing I hear in the playback is a kind of white noise and I don't hear my voice recording at all.

I have Windows XP. I am using Audacity 1.2.6. I have a USB mic - a Samson G Track. It has three buttons on it; the first is the Volume; It is all the way out and halfway turned to the right. The second one is something called Inst. It is pushed in and turned all the way to the left. The third one is Mic. It is all the way out and is in the middle. I tested my mic with my control panel wizard and it kept saying it did not recognize the mic. I have selected and deselected all kinds of options in the control panel sounds and devices and audio. I don't know if I have disconnected everything. As you can see, I am very bad at all of this, but I really want to contribute to Librivox. Could someone give me step by step by step instructions - extremely dummy proof instructions? I can't assume anything; if I miss one step, the whole thing gets messed up. Many thanks.
Themis

Operating System: Please select

Re: Cannot hear playback Audacity 1.2.6

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:22 am

There is a very common problem with USB microphones -- low volume. The forum is littered with "How do I make it louder?" messages.

When you speak into the microphone and it's recording, do you see the bouncing red meters like this?

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/Audacity1_record.jpg

I don't remember if 1.2.6 did this, but can you click on one side of the meters and pull to make them larger? As a test, can you overload the channel? Can you make the performance so loud that the red meters go all the way up to "0" on the scale?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:26 am

A note on the numbers. Digital audio is measured from "0" where the channel overloads and you simply can't get any louder. All good quality sound is measured down or quieter from that point. -60 or so is seriously quiet and some people have trouble hearing it. So those are the two extremes.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Themis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:21 pm

kozikowski wrote:There is a very common problem with USB microphones -- low volume. The forum is littered with "How do I make it louder?" messages.

When you speak into the microphone and it's recording, do you see the bouncing red meters like this?

I don't remember if 1.2.6 did this, but can you click on one side of the meters and pull to make them larger? As a test, can you overload the channel? Can you make the performance so loud that the red meters go all the way up to "0" on the scale?

Koz

Koz,

I can never get the red meters to show at all! And now I can't even get a playback with my voice on it. You say that other people have this problem - is there some kind of step by step dummy proof tutorial with every single step you have to do both in Audacity and in the Control panel? Thanks for replying.
Themis

Permanent link to this post Posted by Themis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Themis wrote:
kozikowski wrote:There is a very common problem with USB microphones -- low volume. The forum is littered with "How do I make it louder?" messages.

Koz

Koz,

I can never get the red meters to show at all! And now I can't even get a playback with my voice on it. You say that other people have this problem - is there some kind of step by step dummy proof tutorial with every single step you have to do both in Audacity and in the Control panel? Thanks for replying.[/quote

I just noticed something else this morning - after I plugged in my mic, the light on it is now altering between red and green; yesterday, it was always green. Also, from the picture you sent me, I note that you have numbers underneath the sliders for the playback volume and the input volume. I never see numbers underneath my sliders. How do I get these numbers there? Finally, for whatever reason, I now hear my voice in the playback this morning. If you can't answer these questions, please tell me, and I will put them into the general questions again. thanks.
Themis

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:27 pm

OK. We progress. The light on the front of the microphone goes between green and red when the volume of your voice goes too high. You can turn down the "Mic" control until the light never turns red under normal voice.

<<<I tested my mic with my control panel wizard and it kept saying it did not recognize the mic.>>>

So we don't need Audacity. Windows has to be able to see and manage the microphone before you can use Audacity for anything. Did you load the CD that comes with the microphone? You don't need the audio program on the disk, but sometimes there are programs that allow Windows to see the microphone.

And with that, you're getting seriously out of my world. We may need to wait for the Windows elves to check in and they're not in the same time zone I am.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Themis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 pm

kozikowski wrote:OK. We progress. The light on the front of the microphone goes between green and red when the volume of your voice goes too high. You can turn down the "Mic" control until the light never turns red under normal voice.

<<<I tested my mic with my control panel wizard and it kept saying it did not recognize the mic.>>>

So we don't need Audacity. Windows has to be able to see and manage the microphone before you can use Audacity for anything. Did you load the CD that comes with the microphone? You don't need the audio program on the disk, but sometimes there are programs that allow Windows to see the microphone.

And with that, you're getting seriously out of my world. We may need to wait for the Windows elves to check in and they're not in the same time zone I am.

Koz

Koz,

Thank you for the green/red light answer. No, I did NOT even look at the CD that came with the mic because I am scared of all of this. But, yes, of course, it will most likely solve the recognition problem.

Windows wizards! Please read this post to help me out with the levels part of my problem.

Thanks, again, Koz; have a good one.
Themis

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Harumph harumph. Caff, caff..

I got the red light answer by reading the instructions. I downloaded them, but yours are probably on the CD....

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Themis wrote:I tested my mic with my control panel wizard and it kept saying it did not recognize the mic.

As Koz has said - that's the first thing. If Windows does not recognise the microphone then you're going nowhere.
You'll have to look at the instructions for how to install the microphone so that Windows recognises it. Once Windows recognises that you have a microphone attached then we can start with configuring Audacity (though there's a good chance that it'll magically configure itself once it can see the microphone).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Windows