Using Audacity to record Game Audio

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Using Audacity to record Game Audio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Toranaga » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am

Hi all

I am attempting to use Audacity to record the audio from the steam game Day of Defeat:Source. I have set the input to either "what you hear" or Wave. However after playing the game and returning to Audacity to see what has been recorded the input actually recorded is from the microphone (the lvl metre indicates this) but the input selection still indicates either "what you hear" or Wave. Is the game or something else overiding the input selection....can anyone suggest a solution?
Toranaga

Re: Using Audacity to record Game Audio

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Recording a show on a PC or a Mac is always fraught with problems, so I use software for both. Total Recorder on the PC and WireTap on the Mac. If you pay for the license, they will both let you record shows while you're not there.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Oh, and make sure they will work with the version of Windows or Mac that you have. I'm pretty sure my current licenses will not work with Vista or Leopard.

This is OK because I don't have either one.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Toranaga » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:17 am

Sry Koz, this seems to have nothing to do with my question. You seem to be talking about tv "shows"...im talking about Computer games specifically, generally about other pc programs that overide your selected source input back to microphone.
Toranaga

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:59 am

<<<this seems to have nothing to do with my question.>>>

Yes, it does. Both of these programs insert themselves at the end of the computer playback pathway. No matter what the computer is doing or playing, a sample of it is captured by them and recorded. It's "What You Hear" on vitamins.

There in a free version for the Mac called, I think SoundFlower or something like that. There is a free version of PC Total Recorder, too, but they bury it to make you buy the license.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Windows