I can't hear myself when I record.

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

I can't hear myself when I record.

Permanent link to this post Posted by JerryO » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Hello.
I have Win XP. I am using Delta 66 with both Audacity and Traction. I prefer recording and editing on Audacity. However, when I record on Traction I hear my voice in the headphones before I go into record, as well as during recording and playback.

In audacity, using the same Delta 66 settings, I hear my voice in the phones only during playback.
I have played around with the settings in Delta 66 as well as preferences I/O in Audacity to no avail.

Ideally, I would like to hear myself with a little reverb as I record. I don't want to record the reverb. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
JerryO
JerryO

Re: I can't hear myself when I record.

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Audacity doesn't do continuous software monitoring, it will only do software monitoring while recording (by selecting "software playthrough" in the Preferences menu, it's not the best option though). It appears that Traction does do continuous monitoring. So you have two options: enable hardware monitoring through your soundcard and disable software monitoring in Traction, or set up two different profiles in M-Audio's software to quickly enable hardware monitoring when you use Audacity and turn it off when you use Traction.

Right now though, you don't have hardware monitoring set up correctly. This is something you'll have to change using M-Audio's software. I'm not at my home computer (that has an M-Audio card in it), so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. But I know the tab you need is the first one that comes up (it shows sliders for each input and output, in addition to the main output slider). You'll need to turn up the volume on the inputs that you're using. On the second tab, you need to change the source of your main output channels to Monitor (instead of Channels 1+2, or similar).

You can use M-Audio's software to set up profiles to quickly switch between. Either that or you can turn off software monitoring in Traction. You don't want both software and hardware monitoring going at the same time, you'll get a distracting echo.

There's no way to set Audacity up to add reverb to the monitor signal, Audacity doesn't do realtime effects. Hopefully it will someday.
alatham
Forum Staff

Re: I can't hear myself when I record.

Permanent link to this post Posted by JerryO » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks alathan,
You have been very helpful.
JerryO
JerryO

Return to Windows