buzzing noise in the background

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

buzzing noise in the background

Permanent link to this post Posted by hoangtu69 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm recording audio (stereo mix) from a streaming recording (adobe player) via the web. I can hear the recording fine on my speaker. The sound of the speaker is clear via the speakers.

But when I listen to the recording after I recorded it, there's a buzzing sound in the background that make it impossible to hear the speaker. The sound is like when someone try to distort his voice when speaking over the phone so no one can recognize his sound. It's impossible to hear it.

Do you have any ideas on how to remove this buzzing sound?

I'm using audacity 1.2.6 on XP Home Edition 2002 sp3 with SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

Thanks
Andy
hoangtu69

Re: buzzing noise in the background

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 am

there could be lots of things that cause this.
lets first find out what is happening. what is the complete detailed set up hardware/software, connections, options/settings, and commands/method you used.
whomper
Probationer (now banned)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 am

It's possible you're recording more than one pathway and the delay is causing damage. This is the wiki page for recording computer audio.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recor ... e_computer

Note that only Mix-Out or Stereo Mix should be selected. Nothing else. If you like to use Skype or other communications program, that can mess you up. They do not play well with others. They change sound pathways around and don't always put them back.

It could be a playback problem, too. Pull down six second piano2.wav from here...

http://www.kozco.com/tech/soundtests.html

...and see if that sound's OK. It's a perfectly recorded stereo piano solo.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by hoangtu69 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 pm

My connection is cable, and I accepted all the default. I just started audacity, selected Stereo Mix and hit the record button. I'm using XP Home Edition 2002 sp3. SoundMax Digital Audio.
hoangtu69

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Did that music clip sound OK when you played it in Audacity?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by hoangtu69 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, that music clip sounds clear when I played it back.
hoangtu69

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:12 pm

OK, so the playback side of the computer seems to be working. Audacity doesn't do anything in real time on record or playback (it's a common feature request), so whatever is happening, the Windows machine is producing it. Audacity gets all of its sound services from the machine.

Try this. Go into Audacity Preferences and deselect Play Tracks while recording new ones, Hardware Playthorugh, and Software Playthrough. Let me know if those are missing. Restart Audacity.

Try to record something from the internet. You may not be able to hear what you're doing. This is just a test. Make sure the Audacity red recording meters are bouncing. Play back the capture.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by hoangtu69 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 am

Here's what I have under preferences under Audio I/O

Device: Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output

Recording: Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output
1(Mono)

2 check boxes and they are both un-checked by default

1) Play other tracks while recording new one
2) Software Playthrough (Play new track while recording it)

So I guess these options have already been deselected right?

Here's the website that I use to record the streaming video. I use Firefox.

http://www.bfmmm.com/

scroll down and under BFM Community Ministries, click on the Web TV link
You'll be asked to put in a username and password, please use the below guest info

username: hoangtu69@yahoo.com
password: password

After you put in the info, it will redirect you to the main page, click on Watch Sunday Service. It will load the recording and please fast forward toward the end by dragging the slider to the right. This is where I started to record the speaker

You should be able to hear the speaker fine on the speaker. Now you can start recording and when you play back, you'll hear the background noise that make it impossible to listen to the speaker.

Please let me know if you get the same thing that I got.

Thanks
hoangtu69

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 am

OK. I got the big guy with the white hair. Dr. Pinder, is it? 'Throw your net out again after many failures.'

They have some pretty serious hum and buzz on their sound system on the internet show. I'm not on a Windows machine, but I did a capture using my WireTap license and both Dr P and the hum and buzz came right along in good order. It totally wasn't enough to stop me from enjoying the sermon.

However. I was getting ready to post a sample of what I heard and I couldn't do it. Dr P's microphone or something in their sound system is wired wrong. You're fine while you're listening in Stereo, but mix to mono and that's the end of Dr P.

You should capture the sermon in stereo and leave it that way. Does that help?

If he is in stereo now, you may have your speakers in mono. I designed a sound test to make sure.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/LRMonoPhaset4.wav

My voice should go back and forth left to right. If it doesn't, your sound system is mono and that's what happened to Dr P.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by hoangtu69 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:47 pm

My speakers are in stereo because when it heard your test sound clip, it did go back and forth left to right.

When I recorded the sermon, the mode I used in Audacity is Stereo Mix. I have the same buzzing problem using the mono mode too.

So is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks
hoangtu69

Next

Return to Windows