Input not loud enough

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Input not loud enough

Permanent link to this post Posted by pjsymons » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:26 pm

I've hooked my JBSystems recordplayer to my JBSystems USB audio converter, turned the mic up to 100%, turned my volume up to the maximum, but still the sound does not come near 0dB in Audacity... What can I do? Should I connect my recordplayer to a P.A.-system first?
pjsymons

Re: Input not loud enough

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Is there a "Phono-In" listed anywhere in that system? A straight, non digital turntable will not plug directly into a sound system. Sound on a record is intentionally damaged slightly to fit in the grooves. A Phono Preamplifier takes the damage out and boosts the sound.

Most living room entertainment systems have a connector labeled Phono-In and there is usually a place to secure that thin black grounding wire that the turntable also has. You need everything. That thin grounding wire gets rid of hum and buzz.

Then, after you get that done, the signal has to go into the Line-In of your computer, not the Mic-In. PC Laptops tend to be missing the Line-In connection, and no, you can't cross them.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Missed a step. You're using a USB connection, so you won't need the Line-In, but you still need the Phono Preamplifier somewhere.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm

pjsymons wrote:I've hooked my JBSystems recordplayer to my JBSystems USB audio converter, turned the mic up to 100%, turned my volume up to the maximum, but still the sound does not come near 0dB in Audacity... What can I do? Should I connect my recordplayer to a P.A.-system first?

what does the jbs manual say? i would hope the audio converter supplies enough gain to max the sound. but maybe you need a preamp too. what does the jbs manual say to do to record LPs??
what are the gain settings in the pc ? there are a number places that can affect the level. does the driver for the usb also have a gain setting? are there any hardware settings? we need full explicit details of how this is set up and what your manual say.
whomper
Probationer (now banned)

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pjsymons » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:46 pm

The instructions said to put it on Line, but then I tried Phono. It works now, thanks a million guys!
pjsymons

Return to Windows