Audacity & Firewire Solo

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Audacity & Firewire Solo

Permanent link to this post Posted by about2flip » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:50 am

Hi:

I been using Audacity for sometime now. I went a purchased a M-Audio Firewire Solo, and now Audacity is not showing the list of where to record from. My Input and Recording source is set to the Firewire Solo. I don't why it stopped working after I changed sound cards. I did an uninstall of Audacity and then a re-install. What can I do to correct issue?

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance.

FYI: I can open projects and play them with no problem. I just can't record anymore, and the drop down list is grayed out.
about2flip

Re: Audacity & Firewire Solo

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:40 pm

You'll probably have to change to input source from the Edit -> Preferences menu instead of that drop down menu in Audacity's main window. [ctrl]+p is the keyboard shortcut.

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to make sure your soundcard's software is set up properly. I can't really tell you how to do that.
alatham
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by richardash1981 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:15 pm

Operating system would be relevant here, as would audacity version.
richardash1981

Permanent link to this post Posted by about2flip » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:40 pm

Windows XP, Audacity Version 1.2.6. My sound card drivers have to be setup right because everything else works, and when I play a project from reason I can hear it. The drop down box is grayed out.

Does Audacity support ASIO?

Thanks Again.
Last edited by about2flip on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
about2flip

Permanent link to this post Posted by richardash1981 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:02 pm

Just because you can play back through the drivers doesn't mean you can record from them, especially given that Reason uses ASIO drivers, and audacity doesn't. So the first thing to check is whether you have enabled ASIO drivers, in which case audacity certainly won't work.

As it says on the wiki:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... bar_Issues
some sound cards don't support input selection from within audacity but will work if you select the input from the manufacturer's control application and then hit record in audacity. Given the way the system seems to be designed (with a hardware switch for which inputs to use) there may not be any software input selection to make - if you have front inputs selected, you get the two front ports on L and R, if you have back you get the pair of jack inputs, and there is nothing to choose in audacity.
richardash1981

Permanent link to this post Posted by about2flip » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks for the help, but I read that. I am using firewire cable. So all the input and output is flowing through firewire. When I hit the record in audacity I get a straight line. ----------------------------------------------------

Under pref. I have selected:

Playback: M-Audio FW Solo 1/2

Recording: M-Audio FW Solo 1/2
Channels 1 Mono

When I hit record, it gives me this error: Error wile opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.

Do I move on. I'm sure I am not the only one using a Firewire Solo
about2flip

Permanent link to this post Posted by richardash1981 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Try recording in stereo rather than mono - it may not support mono recording. If that doesn't help, try using audacity 1.3.3 for more advanced audio I/O support.
richardash1981

Permanent link to this post Posted by about2flip » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Tried it, and I get the same error. Seems like I am doomed. I can't capture audio. Thanks for the help.
about2flip

Permanent link to this post Posted by BeatleWho » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:24 am

richardash1981 wrote:Just because you can play back through the drivers doesn't mean you can record from them, especially given that Reason uses ASIO drivers, and audacity doesn't. So the first thing to check is whether you have enabled ASIO drivers, in which case audacity certainly won't work.

As it says on the wiki:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... bar_Issues
some sound cards don't support input selection from within audacity but will work if you select the input from the manufacturer's control application and then hit record in audacity. Given the way the system seems to be designed (with a hardware switch for which inputs to use) there may not be any software input selection to make - if you have front inputs selected, you get the two front ports on L and R, if you have back you get the pair of jack inputs, and there is nothing to choose in audacity.

Is the ASIO license issue still an issue? I'm looking at the Firewire Solo vs. the PreSonus Firebox on the Firewire side, and if that is too much of a pain in the butt possibly to fall back on the TASCAM US144....

Duane
http://www.myspace.com/t60player
http://www.myspace.com/duanemantick
also on Facebook and god knows where else that might change overnight
BeatleWho

Return to Windows