Program won't close

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Program won't close

Permanent link to this post Posted by ritergal » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:57 pm

I have Audacity 1.2.6 installed on three different computers. One has XP Home, one has Vista Home Premium, and this one has XP Pro. It works fine on the others, but it won't close properly on this one. I've tried clicking the Red X, right-clicking the task bar icon, using Ctrl-W, and closing from the menu. No matter which I use, the program window migrates one header bar's space to the right and down across the desktop, returning to the upper right when it runs out of room. I have to resort to using Task Manager to close it.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, to no avail. Earlier versions had no problems on this machine. Any suggestions?
ritergal

Re: Program won't close

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:38 am

Sudden, unexplained Windows insanity would prompt me to update my Virus definitions and do an exhaustive system scan with the network/internet unplugged.

Also, Audacity doesn't Play Well with Others. Do you have other audio software that didn't come with Windows? Audacity likes to halt all its resources when it closes and it may not be able to if there's something else standing on them.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by ritergal » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks for the thought Koz, but I've scanned this computer six ways to Sunday with spyware, adware and antivirus programs, both on the machine and online, for other problems that turned out to be a hardware issue.

And, it doesn't matter if other programs are open. Other non-resident ones, that is. I have not tried turning off things in the sys tray.

It's only this one machine that isn't closing. The other two close fine, whether other programs are open or not, and with antivirus running along with all other resident programs.
ritergal

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:58 pm

You do the Ctrl=Alt=Del thing and the panel says "Program Not Responding," right?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:13 pm

One more. If you do try to File > Exit, do you get the "Save Changes Before Exiting? dialog box?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by BigDana » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm

If I'm reading you correctly, the program actually keeps opening a new session each time you close one -- right? Try this: Select Edit > Preferences, click the Interface tab, then make sure to check the box that says "Quit Audacity upon closing last window."

Worked for me, and when I had the box unchecked, the program became "immortal." I checked it again and the problem went away.
BigDana

Permanent link to this post Posted by ritergal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks to all for the tips. Today I found that using File > Exit led to a clean exit. But rather than dink around further, I went to the Preferences > Interface tab and checked the "Quit Audacity upon closing last window" option. Now it works. Sweet! :)
ritergal

Return to Windows