Recording Skype - Other Person Too Quiet

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Recording Skype - Other Person Too Quiet

Permanent link to this post Posted by Joanna » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi, I'm using Audacity to record a Skype conversation. I have one of Skype's headsets, and when I make the call, everything on both sides sounds great. However, when I record it in Audacity, my voice comes out clear and loud, but you can barely hear the person on the other end of the conversation. Have been fiddling with volume settings on both programs and Windows (XP) volume control, and changing from Microphone to Stereo Mix, but no luck. Help?
Joanna

Re: Recording Skype - Other Person Too Quiet

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:10 pm

Audacity isn't in a very good position to record Skype conversations.

Someone else recommended this program, I have no experience with it:
http://www.callburner.com/
alatham
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Joanna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:03 am

Thanks for the CallBurner suggestion; I'll check it out. However, in the meantime I checked out HotRecorder, and had the exact same problem with it. So it must be something other than the software. If anyone knows what that might mean, please let me know.
Joanna

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:32 am

Windows has two sound panels--or it used to, and the function has been take up by other settings. The upshot is Play and Record are different and you can have one perfectly balanced and the other completely off. For example, you can turn down the microphone in the Record panel so it's not as loud in Audacity, but still get feedback from the room speakers because the microphone is still turned up in the Playback or Mix panels.

This drives everybody crazy and even though I know it's happening, I still get burned.

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Joanna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:36 pm

Thanks, I looked at the site and may try to fiddle some more with my settings. However, the odd thing is that I then downloaded PowerGramo, which (once I actually purchased a license so that I could record Skype calls to a land line) seems to work fine, even though I had the problem with both Audacity and HotRecorder.
Joanna

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:48 pm

So you win.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by soft4you » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:46 pm

You can also try this "skype recorder" http://www.extralabs.net/skype-recorder.htm
soft4you

Permanent link to this post Posted by patrikana » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:58 am

Well friends, I notice that the internet calls to the whole world are cheap, except to Honduras I wonder if is because the government over there charges a big amount of money to receive a call through their monopolized telephone system. Why the VoIP rates per min. to Honduras is so expensive compared to the rest of the world? What is your opinion? Have a nice day.
patrikana

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:35 pm

<<<Why the VoIP rates per min. to Honduras is so expensive >>>

I don't think I know how to fix that. Anybody?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:04 pm

The trick here is to find software that will let you record both sides of the conversation suitable for production. That's the difference between the two cheap Pamelas and the two expensive ones. The ability to record the two sides on their own track so you can apply filters and effects to one and not the other.

As has been written about in other posts, you can't just "capture" the sound going back and forth. Skype takes over all the sound pathways inside the computer and the very best you can do is record one direction. Pamela sets up an artificial "sound card" inside the machine and makes both sides of the conversation go through it.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Windows