Windows 7 and Audacity query

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Windows 7 and Audacity query

Permanent link to this post Posted by happy37 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 am

Hi all

I have loaded Windows 7 Pro on my P4 2.4Ghz PC, 2GB RAM, with 2 brand new hard drives and all is working well.

I have managed to get Audacity version 1.2.6 running in compatibility mode (Windows XP SP3).

Audacity works well - I do have a query - how do I get the program to "remember" the Microphone input volume, and keep it to the same level in every session?

The speaker output volume works OK - it's the Microphone input volume that changes with every recording session...it's a pain having to slide and move things every time.

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks.

Happy37
happy37

Re: Windows 7 and Audacity query

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 am

I've no idea about Windows 7, but on Vista the Audacity 1.3.x version cooperates with the OS much better than 1.2
Vista did not exist when the 1.2 version was written.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by happy37 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:15 am

Hi steve

Thanks for this - should I uninstall version 1.2.6, and give version 1.3 (is is still beta?) a try instead?

TIA.

Happy37
happy37

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 am

I would.

Audacity 1.3.9 is still classed as beta, and will be until it is released as Audacity 2.0 (stable), but it is a very late beta, and on Vista it is more stable than the old 1.2.6 version. In fact, I would go for the most recent "nightly" build (1.3.10 alpha) which is exactly the same as 1.3.9 beta, but with fixes for some known issues that exist in 1.3.9.
The nightly build is here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php? ... tly_Builds

The nightly build does not require installation - just extract the contents of the zip file somewhere convenient and create a Desktop shortcut to the "audacity.exe" file.

If you want to remove Audacity 1.2 completely you will need to remove its entries from the registry as these are not removed automatically when you uninstall. (Audacity 1.3 does not use the Windows registry, but it does read any previous registry settings from 1.2 for its initial "Preferences").

The registry entry to remove is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Audacity\
If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, just leave it, it should do no harm, but if you mess up the registry by editing it incorrectly it can make a very big mess.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by happy37 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks, Steve.

Will grab the "nightly build" in your link and will give that a go instead.

Will I have to run that particular build in any "compatibility mode" or is that not needed?

If yes, which "compatibility mode" should I use?

Please let me know - thanks.

Will post back and let you know how it goes...

TIA.

Happy37
happy37

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:37 am

happy37 wrote:Will I have to run that particular build in any "compatibility mode" or is that not needed?

Short answer - I don't know (I don't use Windows 7 - I try to avoid Windows ;) )

Longer answer - Try it without compatibility mode, but if you get "Runtime Error Program: (location) R6034" on launching Audacity, try changing compatibility mode to Vista SP2.

Let us know how you get on.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by happy37 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks for this - will try as you have suggested.

Will post back in due course.

Regards

Happy37
happy37

Permanent link to this post Posted by happy37 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 am

happy37 wrote:Thanks for this - will try as you have suggested.

Will post back in due course.

Regards

Happy37

Hi steve

I mentioned in my previous post that I will come back and let you know how I got with Audacity in Win 7:-

Have tried to use the 1.3.9 beta version of Audacity with Win 7 last week when I received my copy of Win 7 Pro.

All installed well...but I still couldn't get Audacity to "remember" my settings...be it in version 1.2.6, or the 1.3.9 beta.

I then uninstalled Audacity from Win 7 Pro (thank God I didn't activate my copy of Win 7 Pro yet!)

Can you or someone please let me know where the progress is at the moment with regards to a final release of Audacity for Win 7/Vista/XP? - when can we expect this to be released?

Thanks in advance - all responses welcome.

Happy37
happy37

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm

happy37 wrote:All installed well...but I still couldn't get Audacity to "remember" my settings...be it in version 1.2.6, or the 1.3.9 beta.

Forget about running Audacity 1.2.6
Does Audacity 1.3.9 run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode?

Have you tried the Audacity 1.3.10 (nightly) version? If not, give it a go. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php? ... tly_Builds

When Audacity closes after the first run, it should create and save a file called "audacity.cfg" If it cannot do this, then then next time you run Audacity it will prompt you for your language setting. Is this what is happening? How about if your open Audacity, then use "Close" from the file menu, then try to open Audacity again?
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by happy37 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:35 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:
happy37 wrote:All installed well...but I still couldn't get Audacity to "remember" my settings...be it in version 1.2.6, or the 1.3.9 beta.

Forget about running Audacity 1.2.6
Does Audacity 1.3.9 run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode?

Have you tried the Audacity 1.3.10 (nightly) version? If not, give it a go. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php? ... tly_Builds

When Audacity closes after the first run, it should create and save a file called "audacity.cfg" If it cannot do this, then then next time you run Audacity it will prompt you for your language setting. Is this what is happening? How about if your open Audacity, then use "Close" from the file menu, then try to open Audacity again?

Hi Steve

Evening - have now reinstalled Audacity from scratch on a new TEST install of Win 7 Pro.

Yes, Audacity 1.3.9 runs OK in Vista SP2 compatibility mode - all is working well, and the program now remembers the settings as I have set them.

On another note, can you please let me know how I can get some of the other options to appear where it says/shows "Master Volume", please?

That's all I get on this nightly build - in Audacity version 1.2.6, I just used to open up the program, and depending on the sound coming through the speakers, Audacity would either display "Wave" or "Stereo Mix" in the dropdown menu to select the audio source. So, how can I now record what is playing through the speakers...in this instance, a live radio stream from the Internet, for example?

When I record now, all I get is flat line running across the page – before I used to get the sound being recorded as a “waveform” across the page...so, what am I doing wrong, please?

Do I have to configure the program in any way - any settings to change/click...etc?

Please let me know - many thanks for all of your help so far with this...it's much appreciated.

Rgds

Happy37
happy37

Next

Return to Windows