Police Radio

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Police Radio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Daemon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 am

Hello,
my question is: how can i edit a recorded voice to simulate a police radio. Is this possible with audacity?
i hope someone can help me. thanks
Daemon

Operating System: Please select

Re: Police Radio

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:49 pm

By that most people mean the radio on the cop's hip, not the dispatcher which doesn't sound the same.

The thing that puts "Police Radios" over for an audience is context. The hero says, "Wait, listen to the police radio." Everything after that will sound like a police radio whether you use a ton of effects or not. It's good if the voice on the radio talks in "Police" as well. "Two-Niner Code 12 on Wilshire and Santa Monica." And most dispatchers are women. Their voices go through a radio system perfectly and clearly.

Use the "phone" filter. Launch Effects > Equalizer and drop everything below 300 and above 3000. Then Effects > Leveler and maybe run that more than once to get that dense, harsh sound. Then you can add one of two different Motorola Radio effects. Either put a 1/8 second blast of white or pink noise after each transmission. "This is Control to the N1B Van [shshshP]" The other Motorola radio system had squelch tail and tone keying. Those put a tone sequence after each transmission. "Testing the radios [bedoop]"

It's very quick. 1/8 to 1/16 second each effect.

But context is everything. Last nights CSI had a plot point that revolved around a hand-held police radio that sounded better than my stereo. "Listen, she turned her radio on so we can hear what the bad guys are saying."

Oh, and these effects are only available in Audaciy 1.3. You can do some of them in 1.2, but they're really painful. You can have 1.2 and 1.3 on your machine as long as you only use one at a time. You can't open up a 1.3 Project in 1.2.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Police Radio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Daemon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:43 pm

thank you very much :D
Daemon

Operating System: Please select

Return to General Feedback and Discussion