Prettier Plug-in Level meters

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Prettier Plug-in Level meters

Permanent link to this post Posted by Keefy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi Guys
Is there anybody out there using Prettier Plug-in Level meters (Hopefully Free) other than what is standard with Audacity? I am using a realtek ac97 sound card so I record with stereo mix internally, not from the in/outs at the back of the PC.
I know that Audacity is superb (I am using 1.3.5) But it would be nice to use a different record meter, perhaps PPM?
Best Regards
Keefy :D :D :o
Keefy

Re: Prettier Plug-in Level meters

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Keefy,

do you know that you can make the meters larger? It doesn't make them much prettier, but it makes them much more useful.

You can drag the meter bars around amd then stretch them out (I have mine stretched across the whole Audacity Window).

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Keefy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks Waxcylinder
I do that already perhaps I'm spoilt. I just thought that there maybe some sexy meters out there which could show me when I am going into the red better (over modulation).
Best Regards
Keefy
Keefy

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Just a note here. Digital systems don't have "overmodulation" like analog and ANSI C-16.5 VU meters, do. The only place where you can run into serious problems in digital is trying to go higher than zero. Digital zero is a brick wall.

So if you're used to putting most of your show in the middle of the meter with occasional peaks "into the red" above zero VU, this is going to be a whole different world. VU meters would tell you more or less the loudness of the show. Digital peak meters don't do that and there can be a number of interesting shocks trying to mix with them. It is required that you listen carefully on good speakers with a digital system like it is on the BBC PPM instruments.

They're much more accurate in their task of keeping you out of trouble, but they tell you much less about the theatrical presentation.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to General Feedback and Discussion