can't open my audacity project file

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

can't open my audacity project file

Permanent link to this post Posted by nisha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Hello,
i am having problem on opening the audacity file .it shows me "Couldn't find the project data folder"audio data....help me.
nisha

Re: can't open my audacity project file

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm

There are two parts to an Audacity project - there is the "Audacity Project File" (filename.aup) and then there is a folder of audio data (filename_data).
Both parts are required for the project. If you move, delete or rename any of the data that is used by the project, the project will be broken.

See here for more information: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/File_Management_Tips
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Shows, or Audacity Projects have two parts. The AUP file is the show manager and it points to a _DATA folder with much if not all of the actual show in it. Both will be named similarly.

NineInchNails.aup
NineInchNails_data

Both of those need to be in the same folder or directory for the show to open.

You can't move Audacity Projects, or not easily.

If you used a bunch of sound files in your show, then it's particularly important not to move your Project.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:There are two parts to an Audacity project (...)

by stevethefiddle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:57 pm
kozikowski wrote:Shows, or Audacity Projects have two parts. (...)

by kozikowski » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Amazing how you both were in exact sync... Like left and right channels in a stereo show... :D

kozikowski wrote:You can't move Audacity Projects, or not easily.

If you used a bunch of sound files in your show, then it's particularly important not to move your Project.

I easily remotely moved a project from one computer to another, across different OS, and containing more than 600 files in the project (that was when I realized there were so many many files in a single project...), but then again... I'm not the typical user... :)
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:34 pm

In this topic someone has successfully sent 2 projects to the forum. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29232
I believe he's the first to do it successfully.

There can be more than two parts - in some situations there may be audio data that is in use by the project but lies outside of the data folder.
Projects can be moved, but unless you understand what's involved it can easily fail. That's is why this page is one of my favourites - reading it can avoid a lot of tears.
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/File_Management_Tips
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am

And leads at least me to tell people they can't move projects. Particularly the people trying to move their AUP sound file.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:14 am

<<<Saving an Audacity project lets you save unfinished work and re-open it later in Audacity exactly as it was, with all edits and recorded/imported tracks preserved.>>>

Except for UNDO.

Nasty surprise.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 pm

can't think of any program that lets me do undo after a save and reopen after closing the ap. so no surprise that audacity does it that way too. i think all of my main aps will let me undo as long as the file is still open no matter how many saves. if not that is a major bug in photoshop et al.
whomper
Probationer (now banned)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm

"Hi. I'm a newbie and..."

The instructions should not suggest, or outright claim you can do "Everything." Audacity departs from norms in so many areas you can't depend on that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:13 pm

kozikowski wrote:<<<Saving an Audacity project lets you save unfinished work and re-open it later in Audacity exactly as it was, with all edits and recorded/imported tracks preserved.>>>

The first time I read this my first thought was "Undo too?". It would probably be the first app I'm aware of that would do that... but the way that line is written might trick one into believing in that...
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Next

Return to General Feedback and Discussion