No sound on Audacity 1.2.6

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

No sound on Audacity 1.2.6

Permanent link to this post Posted by supapinocchio » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:52 pm

I am fairly new to Audacity, although I have had it installed on my computer, which is running Windows XP home, for some time. In the past it has worked perfectly, with no problems. Not having used it for some time, I recently opened it up but discovered that there was no sound playing through my speakers, which, in other respects work perfectly well with other programs. Audacity seems to be operating as it should ecxept for there being no sound. I uninstalled my original Audacity and re-installed 1.2.6 thinking that this would cure the problem. It didn't provide a cure, as I still get nothing through the speakers. I have an on-board sound card, for which there are no up-to-date drivers on the compaq website. I also have Lame installed, since I installed the original Audacity software. I would appreciate any suggestions which may help restore the sound through Audacity.
supapinocchio

Re: No sound on Audacity 1.2.6

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Check that the correct audio device is set in "Edit->Preferences->Audio I/O"
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by supapinocchio » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:52 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:Check that the correct audio device is set in "Edit->Preferences->Audio I/O"

Hi steve,
thanks for your suggestion. I have changed the setting of the audio device to Audio I/O, with no luck. I am thinking that my sound card is dodgy, because I have now lost sound on both Windows Media Player and iTunes. I shall have to operate I think. Thanks again.
supapinocchio

Permanent link to this post Posted by supapinocchio » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi again steve,

Have now sorted the sound on Mediaplayer and iTunes, both are now OK. Am still getting no sound through Audacity, even after setting Audio to I/O. Do you have any other thoughts on what might be causing the lack of sound?
supapinocchio

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:19 am

Let's get one direction working at a time. Pull down the "Piano Trill" from here:

http://www.kozco.com/tech/soundtests.html

Load it into Audacity and play it. Do you get the blue waveform, bouncing lights, and sound?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by supapinocchio » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi kozikowski,
Have opened your instruction in Quicktime, but am unable to load it into Audacity. Perhaps you can tell me how to do this, as everything that I have tried has failed. I will not be available for a few days so please forgive me if I do not respond until Sunday next
supapinocchio

Permanent link to this post Posted by supapinocchio » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi kozikowski,
Ignore my reply to yours timed 7.07 on 6/2. I have now loaded the clip into Audacity. The blue wave forms are there, but no bouncing lights or sound.
supapinocchio

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Open up the Windows "Control Panel" in Classic view and open "Sounds and Audio Devices".
Select the "Sounds" tab and check that system sound events will play.
Assuming that they do, go to the "Audio" tab and see what is selected for "Sound Playback" and "Sound Recording".
Now open Audacity and go to "Edit->Preferences->Audio I/O" and set the to the same as above.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:55 am

<<<The blue wave forms are there, but no bouncing lights or sound.>>>

That's a little disturbing. Do you get a panel that looks something like this:

http://www.kozco.com/audacity/audacityPanel.jpg

...And you don't get bouncing lights? The meters on the right (48, 42, 36, 30...) are the record meters and they're red. The ones just to the left are the playback meters and they're green. When you play the piece, the green meters should light up almost all the way across. Nothin'? Nada? Zippo?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:31 am

<<<The blue wave forms are there, but no bouncing lights or sound.>>>

That's a little disturbing. Do you get a panel that looks something like this:

http://www.kozco.com/audacity/audacityPanel.jpg

...And you don't get bouncing lights? The meters on the right (48, 42, 36, 30...) are the record meters and they're red. The ones just to the left are the playback meters and they're green. When you play the piece, the green meters should light up almost all the way across. Nothin'? Nada? Zippo?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Next

Return to General Feedback and Discussion