Russian manual

Definitely Yes.
There is a configurable set of segmentation rules for plain text files (that includes wiki pages). I shall fix that page as soon as I can.
The uploaded version misses the translated screenshot of the hotkey preferences dialog.

Yes.

A wiki account has been set up for you.
Note that this is for the “Audacity wiki” rather than the manual. Unlike the manual, the wiki persists beyond each release.
Have you received your log-in details?

The initial upload is here: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_Tour_Guide/ru

The English version is here: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_Tour_Guide
Note about this version:
"… is mainly for the benefit of translators who may wish to translate the Tour Guide. It is a copy of the Tour Guide from the Audacity Manual - but all the hyperlinks have been removed as a user who needs to read a translated page is unlikely to want to be directed to English pages in the manual. "

No. Nothing in my mail and nothing in the forum PM.
Besides. I want to report some bugs and cannot register to do it either.

It is better to be directed to a foreign language version of the help than nowhere, when you are looking for some particular piece of information.

If you mean bugs in the current version of Audacity, then the best place to report them is here on the forum, on the board that matches your operating system: Audacity Help Forum - Audacity Forum

Bugs in “alpha” builds of Audacity should be reported here: Alphas & Betas - Audacity Forum

For bugs in older versions of Audacity on Windows or Mac, check to see if the problem is still present in the current version. If it is not in the current version, then that shows that it has been fixed, so no need to report it.

For bugs in older builds on Linux, it’s best to report the problem to whoever made the build. You may also report the problem on our Linux board (GNU/Linux - Audacity Forum), but note that any fixes that we make will go into our current alpha build. We may know of workarounds, but fixes to a Linux distribution build can only be done by the package maintainer for that distro.

OK, I’ll find out.

I would have thought so too, but on the other hand, if we release the Tour guide as a downloadable PDF, then some users will not be able to follow the links (depending on whether their system, security settings, and PDF reader software allow following external links). It’s also likely that a lot of users will print the PDF, so we should not put much reliance on links in this document.

I’m happy to leave it to you, whether to include links or not. Ultimately it would be best to having links going to a Russian translation of the full manual :wink:

The “User creation log” on the wiki shows:

13:56, 23 February 2020 User account Viacheslav (talk | contribs | block) was created by James (talk | contribs | block) and password was sent by email (To edit Russian version of Tour Guide.)

The email address used was the email address logged in your forum account details.

Переведен краткий обзор Audacity. См. Missing features - Audacity Support

Found the mail in the SPAM basket. The Tour Guide translation has been fixed.

Excellent. Well done. That was fast work :slight_smile:

Are you keen to do more?

I’ve discussed this with my colleagues, and something we would like to do straight away is to add an announcement, in Russian, at the top of this forum page Русский - Audacity Forum, with a link to the Tour Guide.

What I’m thinking is something like:

Audacity Tour Guide

A short tour guide of the main features of Audacity , is now available (in Russian) here: > Missing features - Audacity Support
Translation by viacheslav

Could you translate that into good Russian for me, and I shall get that posted.
If you would prefer to use another name for the credit, please say which name you would like me to use.

We also intend to convert the page into PDF so that it can be easily downloaded. I’d also like to add a translation credit to the PDF - something like:

Translation by Feb 2020.

I think that it is worth to do the following:

1. fix some problems in the UI strings. The Russian translation of 2.3.3 looks amateurish at times and uses informal borrowings from English introduced by ill-educated people that largely replaced professionals in the 1990-s. Just try to replace all mentions of “track” in the English UI by “racetrack” or “dorozhka” to get a taste.
  2. translate the clickable UI picture (WIT) as a part of the introduction.
  3. translate descriptions of certain effects. It is difficult to understand some of their options without docs.

Is it OK to use the dump of the Manual from GitHub - audacity/audacity-manual: A complete copy of the Audacity manual as a source for offline translation? It is current? The python script from that page needs an old htmldata module which is not marked as compatible with the current python (2.7 or 3).

The translations for the UI use GetText, so that the UI locale may be changed at run time.
More info here: Missing features - Audacity Support

That sounds like a good idea to me, though I’m not sure where we would host it. The problem is that the Audacity manual wiki has to be converted to static HTML so that it can be shipped with the app. I don’t think that conversion scripts handle translated pages. I’ll ask about this.

I am familiar with gettext and similar solutions. I did some translations for Linux apps (as well as some commercial ones for Microsoft and Sun) before.

The WIT picture is a great piece of help that should be bundled with binaries as local help files. Sometimes Internet is not available and Audacity itself does not need it. If the conversion script fails to account for the translated versions (and it turns out to be hard to fix), it could be run several times for each of the available translations.

Oh, you mean this: https://wit.audacityteam.org/
I thought you meant this clickable picture: Audacity Manual

I don’t think that the “WIT” page can run on the local computer, due to it’s use of AJAX.

Any of them, whichever is technically feasible. I thought that WIT refers to Audacity Manual too.

That’s a dump of the Audacity 2.3.3 manual, so it will be out of date in a couple of months when Audacity 2.4.0 is scheduled for release.

Some of the tutorials remain pretty much the same for several releases, and are likely to be useful even though much of the rest of the manual is not yet available in Russian. Perhaps worth looking through this section https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Tutorials and finding some useful tutorials that you think will work as stand-alone tutorials.

I updated the Russian UI translation file (ru.po). This is not final yet (there should be furher updates like this), as the .po file is still quite a mess. The update is available as a pull request https://github.com/audacity/audacity/pull/437.

Is there a how-to explaining how to translate extra nyqist plugins? When I install additional ny plugins they lack translation and it spoils the user experience. It might be possible to include their strings in the main ru.po, unless the plugin format has some provisions for translation.

I’m not sure what you mean by “extra” plug-ins.

Translation of the UI for Nyquist plug-ins is only available for plug-ins that are shipped with Audacity.

For third party plug-ins, translation of messages (but not the UI) is possible by including translations in the plug-in “.ny” file. There is one example of this: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/plug-ins/rms.ny

E.G. Missing features - Audacity Support

I see that the UI strings from the built-in plugins are present in the main ru.po file. It should be possible to do the same with the third-party ones. An additional .po file (or several .po files) can be made and the resulting .mo can be installed by the nyquist installer.

I don’t know much about gettext, but I think the po files have to be present at compile time for the translations to work.

All .po files get compiled into binary .mo files, which are later used to retrieve localized UI strings at runtime. A .po must correspond to the source code (obviously), but its compilation into .mo can be done separately from compiltion of the code itself. It is possible to update translation by editing the .po, make a new .mo and test the result live without rebuilding the app itself. A different/patched build of an app can reuse existing .mo unless there were changes to the UI concernig the included strings.

If the .po developers add the Gettext prefix where needed, anyone should be able to run gettext in order to make .po (1 or several) covering all 3-d party plugins. The translators can translate it and test the result without touching the .ny code. The installer would be able to install the .mo (1 common or several for each .ny) along with the .ny. The translation files can be either bundled locally or downloaded/updated from the net.
It is also possible to keep the translations of all existing ny plugins inside the main .po of Audacity.

* BTW what are the “alias block files” (auf) ? I am unsure about the translation of this term.