Possible to sound better?

Hm, that’s a little tough to hear. I’m shocked because I know people with this microphone was able to make it work for them. Everything is brilliant, aside from the mouth sounds. I’ve tried eating green apples, and drank plenty of water before recording. So, I am a little at a loss for what to do next.

I do YouTube stuff, but also I do story readings. It’s a fun little hobby and I can practice how to act. It’s all in the name of fun, but I do want the highest quality because it does take a loooooong time to edit, and produce.

I’m shocked because I know people with this microphone was able to make it work for them.

This is where you buy them dinner and see if they can make it work for you. We can’t always perform miracles across multiple time zones. Sometimes in-person hands-on is good.

Koz

This makes sense. It’s a shame I don’t have a local shop that sells audio equipment. I have to buy everything online, which makes things a bit awkward. It’s a shame because I really do enjoy this microphone. I’ll consider getting more foam, so I can back away. If that fails, i’ll go for a dynamic microphone.

Out of interest, would lowering the gain help? Or would my compression just make the unwanted mouth noise pop back out again?

Thanks for the time you have put in to help me. It’s been much appreciate, and I have a learnt a lot.

There is the possibility that your equipment is doing what it’s supposed to do and changing it will only dance around the edges. No silver bullet to make everything OK.

If you naturally produce odd mouth sounds and have trouble with volume and consistent presentation, you may spend a lot of time correcting and patching. That on top of basic show editing; cutting out ordinary mistakes which can take a heroic amount of time.

Basic editing rule of thumb is to allow five times the length of the show in post production. You can wander around that number, but it’s amazingly accurate. That’s cutting out sneezes and phone calls, deciding which one of the takes of a paragraph sounds better, setting volumes, cutting chapters, etc.

You will be doing all that (even if you don’t read for AudioBooks), plus going through word by word suppressing mouth noises and correcting diction.

So that’s what you’ll be doing nights and weekends for a while. That can get old in a hurry. Like after the first show, and unless you do a good job, the show may sound like you worked on it for hours.

Koz

I did post a thank you message, but it didn’t go through. Just wanted to give a big thank you for the time you put into responding to me. I learnt a lot, and still got much more to learn. I enjoy doing what I do for a hobby, but always trying to aim for better. I am considering refunding my condensor for a dynamic, but still unsure at this point.

Thank you again. Means a lot having all this help :] !!!

Hey man, since the last time we spoke, I bought myself a mixer and a compressor/noise gate. I was wondering if I could get your personal opinion on the sound? I haven’t applied any EQ because the compression brings out the microphone’s (sE 22000aIIc) natural eq.

I wanted my audio to sound how I would want straight from the box. I also chose a setup with a noise gate because this would help me immensely.

This is my audio chain: Mics >XLR> MG10XU (audio mixer) >XLR> DBX 166xs (compressor) >TRS> UX2 (interface)

I don’t have the bend line applied on the microphone.

Super interested in your thoughts on this :slight_smile: