Audacity quit unexpectedly

Hi,

First, I need to point out that I have the same problem for other applications too. Audacity is just the one that I need most and on which I noticed the problem most.

I have two audio devices connected and also Soundflower installed, which I use to record output from other audio applications.

BC

OK, thanks. That’s important.

What are they?

I’ve found Soundflower to be a bit unstable, and it is no longer supported so it’s not going to get better. We’ll come back to this later (there are alternatives).

The two sound devices I have are a Behringer X32 Rack mixer and a Omega Lexicon.
As I also tried with deleting the configuration folder, I’m assuming that the sound devices in Audacity are reset and changed away from Soundflower.

BC

Unfortunately there are a lot of characters in this “whodunit”. To get anywhere we need to narrow it down a bit.

The way I would approach the problem would be:

1. Back up all my data.
  2. Do a fresh install of the OS
  3. Use the machine for a while without installing Soundflower and without the external audio devices.
    If problems still occur, then there’s a good chance that it’s a computer hardware issue.

If it runs sweetly, then add ONE device (say the Lexicon), and test that for a while.

“A while” is "long enough to show with a good degree of certainty whether there is a problem or not. For intermittent faults this may need to be a week or more.

If it still runs sweetly, replace the external device with the other one and test that for “a while”.

The important thing is that we are testing one change at a time.

If it still runs sweetly, try with both of the external devices (but not Soundflower).

If still OK, try disconnecting both external devices and install “iShowU Audio Capture”. This is a more modern version of Soundflower and is available free from: https://support.shinywhitebox.com/hc/en-us/articles/204161459-Installing-iShowU-Audio-Capture

If it still runs sweetly, try adding back ONE of the external devices, then the other, then both.

Somewhere along the line it will probably break. That’s the point of one change at a time - so that you can discover what breaks it.

Hi,

some of the other apps that show the same problems are not using any audio, so I’m fairly sure it is not related to that.
Reinstalling shot be possible as this is a hackintosh, but I use this PC in my recording studio and downtime is very unwelcome, but it might be the ultimate fix.
I do have the impression that newer versions of certain applications fix the issue.

BC

Oh. That’s news.

should not really make a difference, should it

I’ve never used a hackintosh, though I’ve often wondered how stable they are, given that the operating system is running on unsupported hardware, and Apple are notorious for aggressively encouraging use of genuine Apple products. Hackintosh users generally claim that they are terrifically stable, but at the same time Google shows plenty of people experiencing stability problems. I do note that many hackintosh users that depend on their computer for work, say that they have a real Mac as a backup.

I have two and both were very stable, except for this problem, but I suspect the cause to be a failing SSD, so that is not really hackintosh related I think.
The trick is to buy compatible hardware, as layed out on the hackintosh website.

BC

If I understood you correct;y, you cloned a system from a dying SSD to a new SSD?

That will certainly have corruption in it. If you’re very lucky, it’s in unimportant files. But I wouldn’t feel at ease with such a system.

A clean re-install of El Capital should fix your problem.

And, fwiw, Apple will soon render Hackintoshes impossible. PC’s have no Apple EFI, and no SMC. You can still use icloud with a Hackintosh, but soon you won’t be able to use the Apple Wallet, fi. The touchbar Macs already have the ARM processor inside. That’s Apple’s “Secure Enclave”, generation 1.

No PC will ever have that, as it’s a proprietary Apple CPU.

yes, that was exactly what happened. The system runs quite good actually, the only thing going on is that some applications do not run. A lot of them are (by coincidence?) open source applications from Sourceforge, but some are also by Apple itself, like Xcode.

oops, that will the end of an era then.
I have a regular Mac, but what frustrates me is that lack of freedom to choose your own hardware (which is needed for a studio computer) and also the price. I get that they want to offer the best stability and they succeed in doing so if you compare to Windows, but it’s policy is limiting.

BC

So I noticed that 2.2.1 came out. I installed that version, but that did not unfortunately,

BC

This is maybe interesting: when I launch Audacity from a terminal (after having deleted everything Audacity related), I get:

iMac:MacOS bcnx$ ./Audacity
18:35:29: Error: Impossible to get permissions for file ‘/Users/bcnx/Library/Application Support/audacity.cfg’ (error 2: No such file or directory)
18:35:29: Error: Impossible to get permissions for file ‘/Users/bcnx/Library/Application Support/pluginregistry.cfg’ (error 2: No such file or directory)
18:35:29: Error: Impossible to get permissions for file ‘/Users/bcnx/Library/Application Support/pluginsettings.cfg’ (error 2: No such file or directory)

BC

Hi,

for posterity: I installed Audacity by means of Macports. This is the 2.2.0 version, but at least it works!

BC